Could my breast implant rupture during a mammogram?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

A patient's breast implant may rupture during a mammogram. It is vital that you insist on the special Ecclund technique of cone compression mammography. Instruct your doctor and technician that you have implants and they will accommodate your needs. Implants may rupture from the pressure of the compressive device. If you have silicone gel implants, than it is imperative that you have MRIs every 3 years to determine the integrity of the shell. 

Compressing or moving a breast implant can cause problems, including rupture of the implant. Implant rupture from mammography is extremely rare. The risk is slightly higher for older or weakened implants.

Sometimes, the mammogram will show that you already have a ruptured implant that you and your doctor did not notice. Mammography is one of the tools often used to help determine if there is a rupture.

The risk of breast cancer is far greater than the risk of your implant rupturing.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Women and Heart Disease: 3 Days Can Change Your Life!
It’s never too late to make that big change and win the battle against heart disease. Ada was in her eighties and had received eight stents and two pa...
Can I have PCOS even if my ovaries have been removed?
You can still have polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) even if your ovaries have been removed because P...
6 Surprising Facts About Your Vagina
6 Surprising Facts About Your Vagina6 Surprising Facts About Your Vagina6 Surprising Facts About Your Vagina6 Surprising Facts About Your Vagina
Your vagina has incredible healing powers.
How Does Smoking Affect Women's Risk of Heart Disease?