How common are uncomfortable vaginal changes in women?

A HealthyWomen survey showed that women regularly experience the following uncomfortable vaginal changes:

• vaginal dryness—40 percent
  • urinary tract infections—8 percent 
  • vaginal itching—12 percent 
  • painful intercourse—25 percent 

While many women experience these symptoms, a majority of those surveyed (70 percent) were unaware of the condition that may be causing the symptoms: vulvovaginal atrophy (VVA). If women don't understand what's causing the problems, it will be difficult to fix them.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Why You Can (Maybe) Skip Your Next Pap Test
Many years ago, I had a series of borderline abnormal Pap tests. Eventually, I got “just in case” treatment: A portion of my cervix was frozen to get ...
Why is estrogen important for women's sexual health?
Estrogen is important for women's sexual health because it is critical for keeping things moist, hea...
How is irregular menstruation due to PCOS treated?
If irregular and/or infrequent menstruation from polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a problem, birt...
Does Diet Affect the Risk of Fibroids?
Does Diet Affect the Risk of Fibroids?