What challenges do lesbian women face in the healthcare system?

Lesbians face unique challenges within the health care system that can cause poorer mental and physical health. Many doctors, nurses, and other health care providers have not had sufficient training to understand the specific health experiences of lesbians, or that women who are lesbians, like heterosexual women, can be healthy normal females. There can be barriers to optimal health for lesbians, such as:

- Fear of negative reactions from their doctors if they disclose their sexual orientation.
- Doctors' lack of understanding of lesbians' disease risks, and issues that may be important to lesbians.
- Lack of health insurance because of no domestic partner benefits.
- Low perceived risk of getting sexually transmitted diseases and some types of cancer.

For the above reasons, lesbians often avoid routine health exams and even delay seeking medical care when health problems occur.

This answer is based on source information from The National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Does High Blood Pressure Increase Dementia Risk for Women?
As we make our way into midlife, many of us experience changes in our cardiovascular health. One of the most common conditions we may develop is hyper...
What are natural treatments for women's health issues?
Erika Schwartz, MDErika Schwartz, MD
There are multiple pieces to the puzzle of a woman's health. The more pieces of the puzzles you put ...
7 Reasons You Miss Your Period (Without Being Pregnant)
7 Reasons You Miss Your Period (Without Being Pregnant)7 Reasons You Miss Your Period (Without Being Pregnant)7 Reasons You Miss Your Period (Without Being Pregnant)7 Reasons You Miss Your Period (Without Being Pregnant)
Skipping a menstrual cycle doesn’t always mean you’re expecting. 
If I've Been Diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer, What Should I Ask My Doctor?