Can I have PCOS even if my ovaries have been removed?

You can still have polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) even if your ovaries have been removed because PCOS is a condition that not only affects the ovaries but also the adrenal gland and the regulation of insulin. However, without ovaries, the hyperandrogenic symptoms of PCOS are lessened.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Ginseng Benefits to Improve Your Sex Life
Do you want to improve your sex life? If you're like many people, the answer is “yes.” If the stresses, demands, or monotony of everyday life have coo...
How many women in the United States smoke cigarettes?
Despite the ever-increasing knowledge surrounding the negative consequences of smoking, many women c...
7 Reasons You Miss Your Period (Without Being Pregnant)
7 Reasons You Miss Your Period (Without Being Pregnant)7 Reasons You Miss Your Period (Without Being Pregnant)7 Reasons You Miss Your Period (Without Being Pregnant)7 Reasons You Miss Your Period (Without Being Pregnant)
Skipping a menstrual cycle doesn’t always mean you’re expecting. 
Sneak Peek: Are Gel Manicures Safe?
Sneak Peek: Are Gel Manicures Safe?