Are ovulation problems dangerous?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health
It is normal to have variations in ovulation. Although we are taught that our menstrual cycles will occur every 28 days, healthy women actually have cycles that vary by 7 days shorter or longer. However ovulation problems that either stop menstrual cycling or cause very irregular bleeding can also have consequences in general health. If you are frequently skipping periods or having period that are more than 1 to 2 weeks "off," see your healthcare provider.
Ovulation problems are upsetting, particularly because they can cause irregular menstruation and infertility. They are very rarely dangerous, however, and variations are normal. In most cases, the problem is caused by a hormonal imbalance that prevents ovulation. The imbalance is only rarely so severe that it has other dangerous effects on the body. However, other possible causes, such as polycystic ovary syndrome or diabetes, may cause farther-reaching problems and should be treated medically.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

3 Stinky Body Parts and How to Fix Them
3 Stinky Body Parts and How to Fix Them
Americans spend hundreds of dollars a year on personal care products designed to battle bad breath, stinky arm pits and, ahem, more personal aromas. B...
How can I maintain a healthy vaginal pH level?
Dr. Lauren F. Streicher, MDDr. Lauren F. Streicher, MD
PH refers to the vagina’s acidity level. A vaginal pH of 3.5 to 4.5 indicates that there is a perfec...
6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know
6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know6 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Know
Get expert tips for a better -- and less uncomfortable -- gyno appointment.
How Can I Stay in Good Sexual Health as I Age?