Why are wisdom teeth more likely to get impacted?

Wisdom teeth, or third molars, sometimes do not have room to fit into the mouth properly. This is believed to be due to the evolution of the human jaw, which has become smaller because of modern refinements in food and cooking. Primitive peoples needed the "extra" wisdom tooth as other back teeth, molars, broke down with their coarse diet. Wisdom teeth usually make their appearance from the ages of 17-21. If there is not enough room, they will often cause earaches, headaches, swelling of the gums, and potentially cause crowding of the other teeth. A large panoramic x-ray of the jaw, called a panograph, may show a tumor or cyst that can painlessly grow around the wisdom tooth, or destruction of the adjacent molar tooth roots. These are all valid reasons to have the wisdom teeth
removed.

Some anthropologists believe that earlier humans ate a rougher diet that allowed shifting of teeth and space for wisdom teeth. Modern man eats a much softer diet that prevents this shifting, so wisdom teeth often are not able to push through the gum.

Continue Learning about Wisdom Teeth

What factors should I discuss with my dentist about my wisdom teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
As part of a dental visit, your dentist will examine you to determine if your wisdom teeth are healt...
How much does wisdom teeth extraction cost?
The cost of having a wisdom tooth extracted varies, but is generally averages several hundred dollar...
Why are the third molars called wisdom teeth?
The majority of people have most of their permanent teeth by age 13, followed by the wisdom teeth, w...
Why is wisdom tooth extraction easier in younger people?
As with many other health conditions, as people age, they are at greater risk for health problems an...