What medications might be needed during wisdom teeth extraction?

During wisdom teeth extraction, your doctor will give you a local anesthetic (pain reliever) before starting the procedure. This anesthetic numbs the entire mouth and allows the doctor to remove the tooth without pain. If the tooth is impacted or if the doctor believes he or she may need to cut the root or break the tooth, you may receive a local anesthetic as well as an intravenous medicine that helps keep you unaware of any pain. In some cases, steroids are delivered by an intravenous line to help lower the chance of swelling. In serious cases, people can have their wisdom teeth extracted in the hospital under general anesthesia.

Continue Learning about Wisdom Teeth

How are wisdom teeth removed?
During a wisdom tooth extraction, the surgeon removes the gum tissue over the tooth and detaches the...
When should I be concerned about my teenager's wisdom teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Wisdom teeth, also referred to as third molars, get their name by being the last teeth to come in du...
If I keep my wisdom teeth, am I more likely to have dental problems later?
Wisdom teeth that are not removed should continue to be monitored, because the potential for develop...
What factors should I discuss with my dentist about my wisdom teeth?
As part of a dental visit, your dentist will examine you to determine if your wisdom teeth are healt...