When is it necessary to have wisdom teeth removed?

Wisdom teeth are a valuable asset to the mouth when they are healthy and properly positioned. Often, however, problems develop that require their removal. When the jaw isn't large enough to accommodate wisdom teeth, they can become impacted (unable to come in or misaligned). Wisdom teeth may grow sideways, emerge only part way from the gum or remain trapped beneath the gum and bone.

Extraction of wisdom teeth is generally recommended when:
  • Wisdom teeth only partially erupt. This leaves an opening for bacteria to enter around the tooth and cause an infection. Pain, swelling, jaw stiffness and general illness can result.
  • There is a chance that poorly aligned wisdom teeth will damage adjacent teeth.
  • A cyst (fluid-filled sac) forms, destroying surrounding structures such as bone or tooth roots.
  • Patients should ask the dentist about the health and positioning of their wisdom teeth. The dentist may make a recommendation for removal or send the patient to an oral surgeon for further evaluation.
Many people don’t actually have room for their wisdom teeth in their jaw. As a result, wisdom teeth often become impacted. Several complications can arise if this happens. For starters, your wisdom teeth could push your other teeth out of alignment or cause damage to nearby teeth as they try to push through your gums. If they only partially emerge, you could become more susceptible to infection, and in some cases, a cyst will develop. A cyst is a fluid-filled sac that can be painful as well as cause damage to the roots of nearby teeth. All of these circumstances warrant the removal of your wisdom teeth, but oftentimes, your dentist will be able to prevent these complications by removing your wisdom teeth before they can cause any problems.

Continue Learning about Wisdom Teeth

What factors should I discuss with my dentist about my wisdom teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
As part of a dental visit, your dentist will examine you to determine if your wisdom teeth are healt...
What are wisdom teeth?
Dr. Supriya VermaDr. Supriya Verma
Wisdom teeth are the last Molar teeth to erupt in the back of your mouth. They are also referred to ...
When do wisdom teeth come in?
Randall D. Stastny, DMDRandall D. Stastny, DMD
Wisdom teeth or third molars generally "come in" the mouth around 18 years of age. This was consider...
What are the complications associated with wisdom teeth removal?
The most common complications associated with wisdom teeth removal are dry socket and paresthesi...