What are wisdom tooth problems?

Every patient is unique, but in general, wisdom teeth may need to be removed when there is evidence of changes in the mouth such as:
  • pain
  • infection
  • cysts
  • tumors
  • damage to adjacent teeth
  • gum disease
  • tooth decay (if it is not possible or desirable to restore the tooth)
Your dentist or specialist may also recommend removal to prevent problems or for others reasons, such as when removal is part of an orthodontic, restorative or periodontal treatment plan.

As part of a dental visit, your dentist will examine you to determine if your wisdom teeth are healthy and properly positioned.

Continue Learning about Wisdom Teeth

Are wisdom teeth vestigial organs?
Wisdom teeth are considered a vestigial organ -- no longer useful -- because our diet has evolve...
Should I be concerned about the nerves around my wisdom tooth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
The location of the inferior alveolar nerve in the lower jaw is of concern when contemplating the re...
If I keep my wisdom teeth, am I more likely to have dental problems later?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Wisdom teeth that are not removed should continue to be monitored, because the potential for develop...
What are the risks of removing wisdom teeth?
Many of the risks involving the removal of wisdom teeth are similar to risks associated with other t...