What are symptoms of an impacted wisdom tooth?

Every patient is unique, but in general, wisdom teeth may be impacted and need to be removed when there is evidence of changes in the mouth such as:
  • pain
  • infection
  • cysts
  • tumors
  • damage to adjacent teeth
  • gum disease
  • tooth decay (if it is not possible or desirable to restore the tooth)

Your dentist or specialist may also recommend removal to prevent problems or for others reasons, such as when removal is part of an orthodontic, restorative or periodontal treatment plan.

The development of healthy wisdom teeth may not cause any symptoms. Even impacted wisdom teeth may be hard to detect without the help of your dentist. Therefore, it is important to watch out for the following symptoms of an impacted wisdom tooth:

• jaw pain or stiffness
  • infected flaps of gum tissue that cover the impacted tooth
  • tooth decay
  • gum disease if the impacted wisdom tooth prevents proper cleaning of the back molars

Your dentist may need to remove your wisdom teeth if you experience any of these symptoms.

Continue Learning about Wisdom Teeth

What are the pros and cons of extracting all of my wisdom teeth?
If you have all of your wisdom teeth extracted, you can avoid potential problems with them in the fu...
Does everyone eventually grow wisdom teeth?
Angela CanfieldAngela Canfield
No everyone does not have wisdom teeth. Some people we have just two and not four. It really varies ...
Why is wisdom tooth extraction easier in younger people?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
As with many other health conditions, as people age, they are at greater risk for health problems an...
How will I know if my wisdom teeth have become impacted?
As part of a dental visit, your dentist will examine you to determine if your wisdom teeth are healt...