When should I be concerned about my teenager's wisdom teeth?

You should schedule an appointment with a dentist if your child has inflamed, sore, or bleeding gums, or an erupted wisdom tooth. If the wisdom teeth are crowding other teeth and causing jaw pain, you should consult a dentist.
Wisdom teeth, also referred to as third molars, get their name by being the last teeth to come in during young adulthood. 

Every patient is unique, but in general, wisdom teeth may need to be removed when there is evidence of changes in the mouth such as:
  • pain
  • infection
  • cysts
  • tumors
  • damage to adjacent teeth
  • gum disease
  • tooth decay (if it is not possible or desirable to restore the tooth)
Your dentist or specialist may also recommend removal to prevent problems or for others reasons, such as when removal is part of an orthodontic, restorative or periodontal treatment plan.

Continue Learning about Wisdom Teeth

What are wisdom tooth problems?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Every patient is unique, but in general, wisdom teeth may need to be removed when there is evidence ...
Why do wisdom teeth become so problematic?
Wisdom teeth are not always problematic. Sometimes they come in without any problems and can rem...
When is it necessary to have wisdom teeth removed?
Many people don’t actually have room for their wisdom teeth in their jaw. As a result, wisdom teeth ...
Should I be concerned about the nerves around my wisdom tooth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
The location of the inferior alveolar nerve in the lower jaw is of concern when contemplating the re...