When should I be concerned about my teenager's wisdom teeth?

Wisdom teeth, also referred to as third molars, get their name by being the last teeth to come in during young adulthood. 

Every patient is unique, but in general, wisdom teeth may need to be removed when there is evidence of changes in the mouth such as:
  • pain
  • infection
  • cysts
  • tumors
  • damage to adjacent teeth
  • gum disease
  • tooth decay (if it is not possible or desirable to restore the tooth)
Your dentist or specialist may also recommend removal to prevent problems or for others reasons, such as when removal is part of an orthodontic, restorative or periodontal treatment plan.
You should schedule an appointment with a dentist if your child has inflamed, sore, or bleeding gums, or an erupted wisdom tooth. If the wisdom teeth are crowding other teeth and causing jaw pain, you should consult a dentist.

Continue Learning about Wisdom Teeth

Is there a downside to removing wisdom teeth?
After your wisdom teeth are removed you will probably experience some pain and discomfort. Wisdo...
Why do I need to have my wisdom teeth removed?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Wisdom teeth that are healthy and properly positioned can be an asset. Commonly, however, wisdom...
Should I be concerned about the nerves around my wisdom tooth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
The location of the inferior alveolar nerve in the lower jaw is of concern when contemplating the re...
What medications might be needed during wisdom teeth extraction?
During wisdom teeth extraction, your doctor will give you a local anesthetic (pain reliever) bef...