When should I be concerned about my teenager's wisdom teeth?

Wisdom teeth, also referred to as third molars, get their name by being the last teeth to come in during young adulthood. 

Every patient is unique, but in general, wisdom teeth may need to be removed when there is evidence of changes in the mouth such as:
  • pain
  • infection
  • cysts
  • tumors
  • damage to adjacent teeth
  • gum disease
  • tooth decay (if it is not possible or desirable to restore the tooth)
Your dentist or specialist may also recommend removal to prevent problems or for others reasons, such as when removal is part of an orthodontic, restorative or periodontal treatment plan.
You should schedule an appointment with a dentist if your child has inflamed, sore, or bleeding gums, or an erupted wisdom tooth. If the wisdom teeth are crowding other teeth and causing jaw pain, you should consult a dentist.

Continue Learning about Wisdom Teeth