How are wisdom teeth removed?

During a wisdom tooth extraction, the surgeon removes the gum tissue over the tooth and detaches the tissue connecting the tooth to the bone. Then the tooth is removed, and the hole in your gum is sutured (stitched).

Continue Learning about Wisdom Teeth

How do I care for my wisdom teeth if I keep them?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Because wisdom teeth are located far in the back of the mouth, they can be difficult to brush or flo...
Should wisdom teeth be removed?
Wisdom teeth that don’t fully erupt or that grow in sideways can lead to tooth decay, infection ...
Does everyone eventually grow wisdom teeth?
Angela CanfieldAngela Canfield
No everyone does not have wisdom teeth. Some people we have just two and not four. It really varies ...
Why did human beings have wisdom teeth in the first place?
Human beings evolved to have wisdom teeth to help them keep chewing raw foods well into adulthoo...