How is a wisdom tooth removed?

Wisdom teeth are removed with oral surgery. An oral or maxillofacial surgeon generally performs the procedure. The difficulty of the surgery depends on several factors, including the orientation of your wisdom teeth and how much they have developed. For example, wisdom teeth with fully developed roots are harder to extract and come with a higher risk of complications. For this reason, it can be better to have wisdom teeth removed at an early stage. No matter what the circumstances, oral and maxillofacial surgeons are trained to handle the situation. More than likely, you’ll be sedated during the entire process. Afterward, you’re likely to have swelling in your mouth and cheeks, but this will subside with time.

Continue Learning about Wisdom Teeth

What are wisdom tooth problems?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Every patient is unique, but in general, wisdom teeth may need to be removed when there is evidence ...
How do I care for my wisdom teeth if I keep them?
Because wisdom teeth are located far in the back of the mouth, they can be difficult to brush or flo...
How do evolution opponents explain our lessening reliance on wisdom teeth?
Experts who are skeptical of evolution usually attribute our lessening reliance on wisdom teeth ...
What can x-rays of my wisdom teeth show?
Your dentist or oral surgeon may order X-rays of your wisdom teeth to identify the relationship bet...