How can I monitor the progress of my wisdom teeth?

Every patient is unique, but in general, wisdom teeth may need to be removed when there is evidence of changes in the mouth such as:
  • pain
  • infection
  • cysts
  • tumors
  • damage to adjacent teeth
  • gum disease
  • tooth decay (if it is not possible or desirable to restore the tooth)

Wisdom teeth that are not removed should continue to be monitored, because the potential for developing problems later on still exists. Regular dental visits are important so your dentist can evaluate not just your wisdom teeth but your overall oral health to help you prevent and manage dental disease and achieve optimal oral health.

Most dentists recommend that you start checking on your wisdom teeth between the ages of 15 and 16. During an appointment, your dentist will probably ask you about your symptoms, dental hygiene, and general health. Your dentist can monitor the growth of your wisdom teeth through a manual inspection as well as through X-ray images of your teeth. These images can inform your dentist of any wisdom teeth that are impacted under your gums.

Continue Learning about Wisdom Teeth

What are wisdom teeth?
Dr. Supriya VermaDr. Supriya Verma
Wisdom teeth are the last Molar teeth to erupt in the back of your mouth. They are also referred to ...
Can I extract just one problem wisdom tooth and leave the others?
If you only have one wisdom tooth that is causing a problem, you can have just that one extracted. T...
Do wisdom teeth have a different function than other teeth?
Wisdom teeth are no different than other teeth and serve the same function if they grow in properly,...
What factors should I discuss with my dentist about my wisdom teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
As part of a dental visit, your dentist will examine you to determine if your wisdom teeth are healt...