What can I expect after having my wisdom teeth extracted?

Following the removal of your wisdom teeth, you may experience:

• Swelling and discomfort, which is part of the normal healing process. You can help decrease this by using cold compresses or by taking medication as prescribed by your dentist. You may be instructed to drink only clear liquids after the surgery until you can comfortably begin to eat soft foods.
  • Numbness and tingling in the face or jaw. Normal sensation should return within a few days but if you experience numbness or tingling longer than a few days, consult your dentist.
  • Dry socket. This can occur when the blood clot breaks down sooner than normal. If this happens your dentist may place a special dressing in the tooth's socket to protect it as it heals. Symptoms include a dull ache and foul odor but they may not appear for three or four more days.

Contact your dentist if you notice these symptoms.

Following surgery to have your wisdom teeth extracted, you will need to rest and drink plenty of water. Expect some bleeding as the wound heals; you can rinse with warm salt water after the first 24 hours. In the first day or so, eat soft foods and avoid chewing, spitting, or using a straw.

Continue Learning about Wisdom Teeth

Should I be concerned about the nerves around my wisdom tooth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
The location of the inferior alveolar nerve in the lower jaw is of concern when contemplating the re...
How do I know if I have wisdom teeth?
William M. Litaker Jr., DDSWilliam M. Litaker Jr., DDS
Individuals with wisdom teeth will have 32 teeth. The wisdom teeth or third molars will be the very ...
Does everyone have wisdom teeth?
Most people have wisdom teeth, but not all people's wisdom teeth come into the mouth. In some cases...
What is an impacted wisdom tooth?
An impacted wisdom tooth cannot break through the surface of the gums due to a number of restriction...