What factors should I discuss with my dentist about my wisdom teeth?

If you are thinking about having your wisdom teeth extracted, ask your surgeon how many teeth need to be removed, how long the procedure will last, and about potential complications. Make sure you inquire about additional treatments you may need and discuss healing and recovery.
As part of a dental visit, your dentist will examine you to determine if your wisdom teeth are healthy and properly positioned.

Every patient is unique, but notify your dentist if you experience any of these problems, which may indicate that a wisdom tooth needs removed:
  • pain
  • infection
  • cysts
  • tumors
  • damage to adjacent teeth
  • gum disease
  • tooth decay (if it is not possible or desirable to restore the tooth)

Continue Learning about Wisdom Teeth

How will I know if my wisdom teeth have become impacted?
Amit S. Somani, DMDAmit S. Somani, DMD
Whenever you go in for your regular checkup with your dentist. At that time he/she may me able to se...
What can x-rays of my wisdom teeth show?
Your dentist or oral surgeon may order X-rays of your wisdom teeth to identify the relationship bet...
Why is wisdom tooth extraction easier in younger people?
In general, wisdom tooth extraction is an easier process in younger patients because the roots of th...
Is there a downside to removing wisdom teeth?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
You may miss some time from work or school to have your wisdom teeth extracted, but you probably wil...