What factors should I discuss with my dentist about my wisdom teeth?

As part of a dental visit, your dentist will examine you to determine if your wisdom teeth are healthy and properly positioned.

Every patient is unique, but notify your dentist if you experience any of these problems, which may indicate that a wisdom tooth needs removed:
  • pain
  • infection
  • cysts
  • tumors
  • damage to adjacent teeth
  • gum disease
  • tooth decay (if it is not possible or desirable to restore the tooth)
If you are thinking about having your wisdom teeth extracted, ask your surgeon how many teeth need to be removed, how long the procedure will last, and about potential complications. Make sure you inquire about additional treatments you may need and discuss healing and recovery.

Continue Learning about Wisdom Teeth

Should wisdom teeth be removed?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Wisdom teeth that don’t fully erupt or that grow in sideways can lead to tooth decay, infection ...
What is an impacted wisdom tooth?
An impacted wisdom tooth cannot break through the surface of the gums due to a number of restriction...
Why are the third molars called wisdom teeth?
The majority of people have most of their permanent teeth by age 13, followed by the wisdom teeth, w...
What are wisdom tooth problems?
Every patient is unique, but in general, wisdom teeth may need to be removed when there is evidence ...