Are impacted wisdom teeth serious?

It all depends on what the exam, x-rays, and patient symptoms are. Generally, I recommend a patient have their impacted wisdom teeth removed by age 25 in order to minimize the risk of infection or cyst development when they are older. On the other hand, if a patient is older than 40 and their impacted wisdom teeth are not causing them any problems, I feel fine about watching them.

An impacted wisdom tooth can lead to complications if it is left untreated. More specifically, impacted wisdom teeth may cause crowding or damage to surrounding teeth, as well as cysts that form in the surrounding gums. Because impacted wisdom teeth still push on surrounding teeth, they can cause an uneven bite. Impacted wisdom teeth are also more prone to infection.

Continue Learning about Wisdom Teeth

Can I extract just one problem wisdom tooth and leave the others?
If you only have one wisdom tooth that is causing a problem, you can have just that one extracted. T...
Do wisdom teeth have a different function than other teeth?
Wisdom teeth are no different than other teeth and serve the same function if they grow in properly,...
What happens before a wisdom tooth is removed?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Before wisdom tooth surgery: Your dentist will explain what to expect and help you plan for the ...
Is there a downside to removing wisdom teeth?
After your wisdom teeth are removed you will probably experience some pain and discomfort. Wisdo...