What should I know to care for someone with whooping cough (pertussis)?

When caring for someone with whooping cough, it is important to make sure that they follow their doctor's advice for treatment. You should also help them get extra rest. Encourage them to eat small meals and drink lots of fluids. You may also set up a vaporizer in the room where they are resting. Keeping the home free from irritants, such as smoke, will minimize coughing spells.

Continue Learning about Whooping Cough

How to Prevent Whooping Cough
How to Prevent Whooping Cough
Pertussis, nicknamed “whooping cough” thanks to the whoop-like sound a sufferer makes after a coughing fit, is a highly contagious and potentially ser...
Should I talk to my doctor about my whooping cough (pertussis) symptoms?
If you have whooping cough symptoms, it is very important that you talk to your doctor. Whooping cou...
Is whooping cough (pertussis) serious?
Pertussis (whooping cough) is most severe for babies; about half of infants younger than 1 year of a...
What You Need To Know About Whooping Cough