What increases my risk for whooping cough (pertussis)?

Your risk for catching whooping cough increases when you are around someone with the illness. When an infected person coughs or sneezes, the bacteria are expelled into the air in airborne droplets of moisture. When you breathe these in, you may become infected.

Vaccines are available, but children under six months have not received a full series of vaccinations are at a higher risk. Also people who were vaccinated as children are also at a higher risk because the vaccine becomes ineffective over time.

Continue Learning about Whooping Cough

What You Need To Know About Whooping Cough
Pertussis, or whooping cough, is a serious respiratory infection that can jeopardize the health of babies, children and adults. Learn all about whoopi...
Should I get a booster shot for whooping cough (pertussis)?
Often thought of as a disease of ages past, pertussis—or whooping cough—is on the rise. To help prev...
Can whooping cough (pertussis) cause other illnesses?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Whooping cough can lead to pneumonia and ear infections in infants. Other problems that may arise in...