What causes whooping cough (pertussis)?

Whooping cough is caused by bacteria called Bordetella pertussis. The bacteria infect the respiratory tract and allow germs to multiply. Mucus accumulation in the bronchial tubes leads to coughing. The characteristic "whoop" cough is due to inflammation of the airways, also caused by the bacteria. When you try to breathe in after a coughing fit, the narrowed bronchi produce the high-pitched "whooping" cough.

Continue Learning about Whooping Cough

What You Need To Know About Whooping Cough
Pertussis, or whooping cough, is a serious respiratory infection that can jeopardize the health of babies, children and adults. Learn all about whoopi...
How can I protect my children from pertussis (whooping cough)?
The best way to prevent pertussis (whooping cough) is to get vaccinated. Parents can also help prote...
How does whooping cough (pertussis) affect the body?
The bacterium Bordetella pertussis infects the respiratory tract and prevents natural defense system...
How Effective Are Pertussis (Whooping Cough) Vaccines?