Should I get a booster shot for whooping cough (pertussis)?

Adults should get a tetanus shot, which now includes the pertussis vaccine, every 10 years. There is a lot less immunity against whooping cough in the adult population nowadays because most adults are not very compliant with their tetanus shot schedule unless they get an injury or something.

It's important to make sure you're up to date on your whooping cough vaccine. This is especially true if you're a parent, have young children in your family, or work with children or in the healthcare industry. 

Often thought of as a disease of ages past, pertussis—or whooping cough—is on the rise. To help prevent its spread, adolescents and parents of infants should get a booster vaccine, which is now combined with the adult tetanus/diphtheria vaccine. So, next time you need a tetanus booster (watch out for rusty nails), ask for the tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis combo booster. Your doc will be impressed!

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent, too!-to avoid critical, common blunders where it matters most: in the ER, pediatrics ward, all-night pharmacy, exam room, or any other medical hot spot for kids. These tips could save your child's life one day. Even tomorrow." -Dr. Jen Making health care decisions for your child can be overwhelming in this age of instant information. It's easy to feel like you know next to nothing or way too much. Either way, you may resort to guessing instead of making smart choices. That's why the nation's leading health care oversight group, The Joint Commission, joined forces with Dr. Jennifer Trachtenberg on this book: to help you make the right decisions, whether you're dealing with a checkup or a full-blown crisis. The Smart Parent's Guide will give you the information you need to manage the pediatric health care system. Dr. Jen understands the questions parents face—as a mom, she's faced them herself. She walks you through everything: from how to choose the best ER for kids (not adults) to when to give a kid medicine (or not to) to how pediatricians care for their own children (prepare to be surprised). Her goal is your goal: to protect the health of your children. There simply is nothing more important.

Continue Learning about Whooping Cough

How to Prevent Whooping Cough
How to Prevent Whooping Cough
Pertussis, nicknamed “whooping cough” thanks to the whoop-like sound a sufferer makes after a coughing fit, is a highly contagious and potentially ser...
How effective are pertussis (whooping cough) vaccines?
Dr. Lisa S. Thornton, MDDr. Lisa S. Thornton, MD
The pertussis (whooping cough) vaccine is very effective, but immunity may wane over time for some, ...
How can whooping cough (pertussis) be prevented?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The pertussis vaccine is the best way to prevent the highly contagious disease of whooping cough. Th...
Put a Stop to Whooping Cough's Comeback
Put a Stop to Whooping Cough's Comeback