Is whooping cough (pertussis) serious?

Pertussis (whooping cough) is most severe for babies; about half of infants younger than 1 year of age who get the disease need treatment in the hospital. About one in four hospitalized infants with pertussis get pneumonia (lung infection), and about two-thirds will have slowed or stopped breathing. Pertussis can be deadly for one or two infants per 100 who are hospitalized.

It can be very serious for the very young. I recommend to all my new moms and dads that everyone, ages 11 to 64 in their household or in regular/close contact with their baby, get a one-time whooping cough (pertussis) booster for themselves ASAP. Much heartache could be avoided with an ounce of prevention.

Please see my profile page for a link to a local story on the dangers of whooping cough in children and the importance of vaccinating against pertussis.

Whooping cough is a very serious, contagious bacterial infection that is easily transmitted to others. Whooping cough may lead to death, especially for children under the age of one. Young children who have whooping cough often require hospitalization and oxygen to make breathing easier. Twenty-three percent of hospitalized infants with the disease develop pneumonia and in rare cases the brain is damaged. Between 1 and 2 percent of those children die from the disease.

Continue Learning about Whooping Cough

How to Prevent Whooping Cough
How to Prevent Whooping Cough
Pertussis, nicknamed “whooping cough” thanks to the whoop-like sound a sufferer makes after a coughing fit, is a highly contagious and potentially ser...
Can I develop whooping cough (pertussis) as an adult?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
You can develop whooping cough, or pertussis, as an adult, although the symptoms may be different. I...
How can whooping cough (pertussis) be prevented?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The pertussis vaccine is the best way to prevent the highly contagious disease of whooping cough. Th...
How Effective Are Pertussis (Whooping Cough) Vaccines?