How is pertussis (whooping cough) in children diagnosed?

James D. Cherry, MD
Pediatrics
To diagnose pertussis (whooping cough) in children, doctors take a sample of mucus from the back of the child’s nose to test for the presence of pertussis bacterium. A blood test to determine the white blood cell count should also be done in young children. In adults, a blood antibody test is used to make the diagnosis. Pertussis in young infants starts with a runny nose and mild cough with no fever. Since symptoms are mild, the diagnosis is often delayed. 

Continue Learning about Whooping Cough

How to Prevent Whooping Cough
How to Prevent Whooping Cough
Pertussis, nicknamed “whooping cough” thanks to the whoop-like sound a sufferer makes after a coughing fit, is a highly contagious and potentially ser...
How can I protect my children from pertussis (whooping cough)?
The best way to prevent pertussis (whooping cough) is to get vaccinated. Parents can also help prote...
Can whooping cough (pertussis) cause other illnesses?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Whooping cough can lead to pneumonia and ear infections in infants. Other problems that may arise in...
What You Need To Know About Whooping Cough