How does whooping cough (pertussis) affect the body?

The bacterium Bordetella pertussis infects the respiratory tract and prevents natural defense systems from removing germs. This causes mucus accumulation, which leads to continual coughing and sometimes vomiting. The bacterium also populates the breathing tubes in the lung, inflaming and narrowing them. The characteristic "whoop" cough is due trying to inhale through the narrow, inflamed airways. The inability to draw breath may cause a red- or blue-colored face and exhaustion.

Continue Learning about Whooping Cough

How to Protect Your Family From Whooping Cough
The Whooping Crane is an endangered species—about 400 of these noisy, five-foot tall birds are left in North America. If only whooping cough—that’s pe...
Should I talk to my doctor about my whooping cough (pertussis) symptoms?
If you have whooping cough symptoms, it is very important that you talk to your doctor. Whooping cou...
Can the whooping cough vaccine cause health problems?
The Woman's Hospital of TexasThe Woman's Hospital of Texas
Before the 1990s, the pertussis immunization was part of the DTP vaccine, which contained the whole ...
How Effective Are Pertussis (Whooping Cough) Vaccines?