How common is whooping cough (pertussis)?

Reported cases of pertussis (whooping cough) vary from year to year and tend to peak every three to five years. More than 48,000 cases of pertussis were reported across the United States during 2012, including 20 deaths. The majority of deaths occur among infants younger than 3 months of age.

Whooping cough used to be quite common in the United States. However, with the creation of a vaccine it is better controlled now. Every two to four years, outbreaks occur among people who are not immunized. Many cases occur among young children who have not received the entire series of vaccinations.

Continue Learning about Whooping Cough

What You Need To Know About Whooping Cough
Pertussis, or whooping cough, is a serious respiratory infection that can jeopardize the health of babies, children and adults. Learn all about whoopi...
How do medications treat whooping cough?
Antibiotics are the medications used to treat whooping cough. They kill the bacteria that cause ...
Should I talk to my doctor about my whooping cough (pertussis) symptoms?
If you have whooping cough symptoms, it is very important that you talk to your doctor. Whooping cou...