Does whooping cough (pertussis) run in families?

Whooping cough is not inheritable. It is a contagious infection caused by a bacterial infection in the respiratory tract. People contract the infection by inhaling bacteria in droplets of moisture, which are expelled after an infected person either coughs or sneezes.

Continue Learning about Whooping Cough

Can I Develop Whooping Cough (Pertussis) as an Adult?
People of all ages can get whooping cough (pertussis). Watch Darria Long-Gillespie, MD, explain how symptoms can be different for adults and children,...
What are the symptoms of whooping cough (pertussis)?
Pertussis can cause serious illness in infants, children and adults. The disease starts like the com...
How effective are pertussis (whooping cough) vaccines?
Pertussis (whooping cough) is a very contagious disease caused by a type of bacteria called Bordetel...
Put a Stop to Whooping Cough's Comeback
Put a Stop to Whooping Cough's Comeback