Can I develop whooping cough (pertussis) as an adult?

Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Emergency Medicine
You can develop whooping cough, or pertussis, as an adult, although the symptoms may be different. In this video, I will explain that this vaccine does require a booster every 10 years.

Yes, you can develop whooping cough as an adult. The vaccine series you received as a child may no longer be effective. If you are concerned about being exposed to whooping cough, ask your doctor if you have received a booster shot for whooping cough recently. If you think you have been exposed, talk to your doctor about taking antibiotics.

Continue Learning about Whooping Cough

How to Protect Your Family From Whooping Cough
The Whooping Crane is an endangered species—about 400 of these noisy, five-foot tall birds are left in North America. If only whooping cough—that’s pe...
How can whooping cough (pertussis) be prevented?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The pertussis vaccine is the best way to prevent the highly contagious disease of whooping cough. Th...
Should I get a booster shot for whooping cough (pertussis)?
Often thought of as a disease of ages past, pertussis—or whooping cough—is on the rise. To help prev...
How Effective Are Pertussis (Whooping Cough) Vaccines?