Can I develop whooping cough (pertussis) as an adult?

Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Emergency Medicine
You can develop whooping cough, or pertussis, as an adult, although the symptoms may be different. In this video, I will explain that this vaccine does require a booster every 10 years.

Yes, you can develop whooping cough as an adult. The vaccine series you received as a child may no longer be effective. If you are concerned about being exposed to whooping cough, ask your doctor if you have received a booster shot for whooping cough recently. If you think you have been exposed, talk to your doctor about taking antibiotics.

Continue Learning about Whooping Cough

How to Prevent Whooping Cough
How to Prevent Whooping Cough
Pertussis, nicknamed “whooping cough” thanks to the whoop-like sound a sufferer makes after a coughing fit, is a highly contagious and potentially ser...
How can I protect my children from pertussis (whooping cough)?
The best way to prevent pertussis (whooping cough) is to get vaccinated. Parents can also help prote...
When should adults get a booster shot for pertussis (whooping cough)?
Adults 19 years of age and older who didn't get Tdap as a preteen or teen should get one dose of Tda...
How Effective Are Pertussis (Whooping Cough) Vaccines?