Why is my baby's first stool soft?

A baby's first stool is often soft and tar-like (because blood from the placenta gets in there and is passed along), but will soon harden up. Before you can leave the hospital, doctors will wait for that first stool - it's a sign that the junctions in the GI tract are working (in some babies, the junction between the anus and the intestines aren't working - that's called Hirschprung's disease).
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about What Will Happen After Delivery & Pregnancy

How long will I stay in the hospital after giving birth?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
The length of a hospital stay after giving birth will depend on the type of delivery a woman had. If...
When should I seek medical attention after giving birth?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Always speak with your medical provider if you have concerns about how you are feeling after del...
How much maternity leave should I take?
Because stimulation is so important for brain development (and because of obvious bonding reasons), ...
When should I expect to see my doctor again after delivering my baby?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
After delivering your baby, you can expect to see your doctor again in six weeks. During your six we...