What is meconium?

Meconium is fluid that is in the baby's intestine prior to delivery. After delivery, in the first day of life, most babies have a large poop that is very sticky and black—that's called meconium. In the next few days, that will lighten up into a green color, and if the feedings are going well, it will turn yellow.

Continue Learning about What Will Happen After Delivery & Pregnancy

What are the benefits to preserving a baby’s cord blood?
A baby's cord blood contains stem cells, which, when transplanted, may develop into any number of sp...
What happens to the placenta after I give birth?
West Hills Hospital & Medical CenterWest Hills Hospital & Medical Center
Most placentas are discarded, but sometimes a doctor will request that it be evaluated.
How much maternity leave should I take?
Because stimulation is so important for brain development (and because of obvious bonding reasons), ...
What do newborns look like?
Ian Holzman, MDIan Holzman, MD
Newborns come in many shapes, sizes and colors! They can have a fair amount of hair or very little a...