What happens once my baby is born?

Gregory A. Guell, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Gregory A. Guell, MD in obstetrics & gynecology at Mercy Hospital, explains the steps doctors take immediately after a baby is born. 

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.
Once delivery of the infant is complete, your provider will cut the umbilical cord and get the baby's blood type. The team then checks your baby to make sure that he is breathing and moving well and they help wipe the baby off so that his body temperature does not drop, because babies can't regulate their temperature as well as we can yet.

The birthing team will then let you hold your baby - and encourage skin-to skin contact. A newborn will actually move toward the breast when placed on Mom's abdomen - a useful instinctive maneuver, as suckling by the infant stimulates Mom to release a hormone called oxytocin, which helps the uterus contract so the placenta can detach and be delivered. Most of the time you will receive a dose of oxytocin, either through your IV or as an intramuscular injection, to help restore uterine tone and decrease the amount of blood lost after delivery. (If you don't want to get oxytocin, you may be asked to stimulate your nipples, which also releases oxytocin.)
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about What Will Happen After Delivery & Pregnancy