What happens once my baby is born?

Gregory A. Guell, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Gregory A. Guell, MD in obstetrics & gynecology at Mercy Hospital, explains the steps doctors take immediately after a baby is born. 

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.
Once delivery of the infant is complete, your provider will cut the umbilical cord and get the baby's blood type. The team then checks your baby to make sure that he is breathing and moving well and they help wipe the baby off so that his body temperature does not drop, because babies can't regulate their temperature as well as we can yet.

The birthing team will then let you hold your baby - and encourage skin-to skin contact. A newborn will actually move toward the breast when placed on Mom's abdomen - a useful instinctive maneuver, as suckling by the infant stimulates Mom to release a hormone called oxytocin, which helps the uterus contract so the placenta can detach and be delivered. Most of the time you will receive a dose of oxytocin, either through your IV or as an intramuscular injection, to help restore uterine tone and decrease the amount of blood lost after delivery. (If you don't want to get oxytocin, you may be asked to stimulate your nipples, which also releases oxytocin.)
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about What Will Happen After Delivery & Pregnancy

What happens to the placenta after I give birth?
West Hills Hospital & Medical CenterWest Hills Hospital & Medical Center
Most placentas are discarded, but sometimes a doctor will request that it be evaluated.
When will the provider cut the cord?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
After birth, your baby is still attached by the umbilical cord to the placenta inside you. There's n...
What are normal amounts of bleeding after a C-section?
Linda S. Katz, MDLinda S. Katz, MD
After a caesarean section, bleeding is comparable to what you see with a vaginal birth. In this vide...
When should I expect to see my doctor again after delivering my baby?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
After delivering your baby, you can expect to see your doctor again in six weeks. During your six we...