What are the benefits to preserving a baby’s cord blood?

A baby's cord blood contains stem cells, which, when transplanted, may develop into any number of specific tissues. This may be beneficial in the treatment of some cancers and other blood diseases for that individual/child. Transplanted stem cells may restore bone marrow functionality.
More doctors are recommending that parents preserve their baby’s umbilical-cord blood after birth. The blood cells in the umbilical cord contain special stem cells that can be used to treat life-threatening diseases and immune and genetic disorders. Although other sources in the body contain stem cells, cord-blood stem cells are a perfect match for your baby, have a 25% probability of being an exact match for a sibling, and potentially can be used for parents and grandparents. Even so, there is no guarantee that a cord-blood transplant will be an appropriate treatment therapy or that it will provide a cure for your baby or another family member. Speak with your obstetrician for more information.

Continue Learning about What Will Happen After Delivery & Pregnancy

When should I expect to see my doctor again after delivering my baby?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
After delivering your baby, you can expect to see your doctor again in six weeks. During your six we...
When should I seek medical attention after giving birth?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Always speak with your medical provider if you have concerns about how you are feeling after del...
How much maternity leave should I take?
Because stimulation is so important for brain development (and because of obvious bonding reasons), ...
What do newborns look like?
Ian Holzman, MDIan Holzman, MD
Newborns come in many shapes, sizes and colors! They can have a fair amount of hair or very little a...