How can I minimize hair damage after having a baby?

During pregnancy, with estrogen at a high level, your hair goes through a strong growing period, but when your estrogen level drops after delivery, your hair will drop into your shower drain. This can start within a few weeks or months and will level off within a year.

You can't stop the process, but you can try to minimize the damage by doing scalp massages to increase blood flow to the scalp and stimulate hair follicles, and by avoiding harsh brushes that can tear hair. If the hair loss seems excessive (loss of clumps lasting more than 6 months after delivery or causing bald spots), you might want to see your doctor and have your thyroid levels checked, since low thyroid can also be associated with excessive hair loss.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...