What kinds of infection can I face after labor?

Usually the cervical mucus plug, amniotic membranes, and amniotic fluid protect your baby from the bacteria that normally live in your vagina. Occasionally, when the membranes have been ruptured for a long time or with long labor, an infection can develop. An infection of the amniotic membranes, or bag of waters, is known as chorioamnionitis (KOR-eo-am-ne-on-I-tis).

Fever is one sign of an infection. (Fevers can also be caused by dehydration and are associated with the use of epidurals.) If your providers think it is very likely that you have chorioamnionitis, you will probably be given IV antibiotics until you no longer have a fever and your labor will be induced if you are not already in labor.

If your waters break a long time before labor starts, and if you have sex or vaginal exams that introduce bacteria from the vagina into the cervix and uterus, there is a greater chance of developing chorioamnionitis. Some women develop an infection without having had any vaginal exams, just because the protective barrier between the fetus and the outside world has ruptured and let bacteria get in. Chorioamnionitis may spread from the membranes to the uterus and cause a uterine infection, known as endomyometritis, after the baby is born.

The usual treatment for chorioamnionitis is inducing labor, usually with oxytocin , and giving you intravenous antibiotics. Your baby will also need blood tests and intravenous antibiotics for forty-eight hours after birth. Endomyometritis is also treated with intravenous antibiotics. If you develop a uterine infection, you may have to stay in the hospital for at least forty eight hours after the birth.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth

ALL THE INFORMATION YOU NEED TO MAKE WISE DECISIONS ABOUT YOUR PREGNANCY AND THE BIRTH OF YOUR CHILD -- FROM THE EDITORS OF THE CLASSIC "BIBLE OF WOMEN'S HEALTH" Pregnancy and birth are as ordinary...

Continue Learning about What Will Happen After Delivery & Pregnancy

What happens to the placenta after I give birth?
West Hills Hospital & Medical CenterWest Hills Hospital & Medical Center
Most placentas are discarded, but sometimes a doctor will request that it be evaluated.
What are normal amounts of bleeding after a C-section?
Linda S. Katz, MDLinda S. Katz, MD
After a caesarean section, bleeding is comparable to what you see with a vaginal birth. In this vide...
Why do I feel hot just before delivery?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
Transition is the stage of labor just before it is time to push the baby out and mom is usually arou...
How will I meet my baby?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Suddenly, months of waiting and wondering are over. You can actually see your baby's face rather tha...