How can I monitor my baby's activity?

After 28 weeks, keep track of your baby's movement. This will help you to notice if your baby is moving less than normal, which could be a sign that your baby is in distress and needs a doctor's care. An easy way to do this is the Count-to-Ten approach. Count your baby's movements in the evening — the time of day when the fetus tends to be most active. Lie down if you have trouble feeling your baby move. Most women count 10 movements within about 20 minutes. Count your baby's movements every day so you know what is normal for you. Call your doctor if you count less than 10 movements within 2 hours.

This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about What Will Happen After Delivery & Pregnancy

Why is it important to remove the remaining placenta from the uterus?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Sometimes there is a delay in the delivery of the placenta after the baby has been born. In other in...
Why do I feel hot just before delivery?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
Transition is the stage of labor just before it is time to push the baby out and mom is usually arou...
How is the placenta delivered after the baby is born?
The delivery team will help you deliver the placenta by applying pressure to your abdomen. They'll i...
What happens once my baby is born?
Gregory A. Guell, MDGregory A. Guell, MD
Gregory A. Guell, MD in obstetrics & gynecology at Mercy Hospital, explains the steps doctors take i...