How effective is serial monogamy against the spread of STDs?

Traditionally defined monogamy involves selecting a single mate for the duration of your lifetime. Sexual contact with only one mate limits your risk of contracting sexually transmitted diseases to that mate's disease exposure status. Serial monogamy, though, may expose you to multiple partners over a long period of time and is thus less effective as a prevention technique. If the duration of time between sexual contact with one partner and sexual contact with the next partner is shorter than the duration of potential active infection, this could result in the transmission of infection from one partner to the next.

Continue Learning about Monogamy

Does partner choice in monogamy reduce the risk of STDs?
If your current monogamous partner engaged in high-risk sexual behavior in the past, there a possibi...
Is there a common gene that unites monogamous species?
Scientists have studied the arginine vasopressin 1a receptor (avpr1a) gene as a possible source for ...
Are intrauterine devices (IUD) only recommended in monogamy?
Intrauterine devices do not protect against STDs and are therefore only recommended to women who are...
Should I take steps to prevent STDs and HIV if I practice monogamy?
Since monogamy, particularly serial monogamy, is not 100 percent effective in preventing exposure to...