If I practice monogamy, should I get tested for STDs and HIV?

Even if you've been practicing monogamy, regular testing for sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and HIV are still important. For one thing, many STDs - such as human papillomavirus (HPV), gonorrhea, and chlamydia - and HIV might not present symptoms immediately,and can go undetected in the body for an extended period of time. It is possible that you or your partner might have contracted these diseases long before the start of your current relationship.

Continue Learning about Monogamy

How does time between partners affect risk in serial monogamy?
The frequency of serial monogamy can affect the rate of contact between infected and people at risk....
Can monogamy affect pregnancy?
Medically speaking, monogamy will not affect your likelihood of getting pregnant. However, because m...
Should I take steps to prevent STDs and HIV if I practice monogamy?
Since monogamy, particularly serial monogamy, is not 100 percent effective in preventing exposure to...
Does monogamy prevent STDs equally in hetero- and homosexuals?
When the practice of monogamy is followed strictly and with an uninfected partner, its effectiveness...