If I practice monogamy, should I get tested for STDs and HIV?

Even if you've been practicing monogamy, regular testing for sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and HIV are still important. For one thing, many STDs - such as human papillomavirus (HPV), gonorrhea, and chlamydia - and HIV might not present symptoms immediately,and can go undetected in the body for an extended period of time. It is possible that you or your partner might have contracted these diseases long before the start of your current relationship.

Continue Learning about Monogamy

Can I use monogamy as a long-term protection against STDs?
Only the complete absence of sexual contact can be a truly reliable protection against STDs and HIV ...
What is serial monogamy?
Serial monogamy is the practice of engaging in a relationship with one mate at a time, over an exten...
What is monogamy?
Monogamy was initially defined as the practice of being married to only one person during your lifet...
Does monogamy prevent STDs equally in hetero- and homosexuals?
When the practice of monogamy is followed strictly and with an uninfected partner, its effectiveness...