Do physicians recommend monogamy to protect against STDs?

When used in combination with an accurate assessment of your partner's sexual history, most physicians surveyed consider monogamy to be a highly effective practice in preventing exposure to human papillomavirus (HPV), a fairly common STD. However, most medical professionals also have doubts that people will exercise effective STD-prevention methods long term, particularly in sexually active teenagers. Only 76 percent of the surveyed physicians typically recommend practicing monogamy as a prevention strategy.

Continue Learning about Monogamy

How does monogamy relate to sexual activity?
Monogamy encourages the limitation of romantic relationships to one mate at a time. This means that ...
How does monogamy differ from abstinence in preventing STDs?
Abstinence, or the complete lack of sexual activity, is the most effective protection against sexual...
What is genetic monogamy?
Genetic monogamy is when genes, not social and behavioral norms, dictate the practice of monogamy. D...
Should I take steps to prevent STDs and HIV if I practice monogamy?
Since monogamy, particularly serial monogamy, is not 100 percent effective in preventing exposure to...