Does partner choice in monogamy reduce the risk of STDs?

If your current monogamous partner engaged in high-risk sexual behavior in the past, there a possibility of exposure to sexually transmitted diseases. Choosing a partner who has had few or no past partners reduces your risk that your partner was exposed to STDs in the past. Additionally, partners who have had a history of intravenous drug use may have increased their risk of exposure to HIV.

Continue Learning about Monogamy

How can monogamy help to prevent transmission of STDs?
Because sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) pass between partners during genital or oral intercours...
Can I use monogamy as a long-term protection against STDs?
Only the complete absence of sexual contact can be a truly reliable protection against STDs and HIV ...
Should I leave my partner if he is not ready for monogamy?
Paul  Hokemeyer, PhDPaul Hokemeyer, PhD
It depends on how long you have been together, what your intentions are for the relationship and if ...
Should I take steps to prevent STDs and HIV if I practice monogamy?
Since monogamy, particularly serial monogamy, is not 100 percent effective in preventing exposure to...