Does partner choice in monogamy reduce the risk of STDs?

If your current monogamous partner engaged in high-risk sexual behavior in the past, there a possibility of exposure to sexually transmitted diseases. Choosing a partner who has had few or no past partners reduces your risk that your partner was exposed to STDs in the past. Additionally, partners who have had a history of intravenous drug use may have increased their risk of exposure to HIV.

Continue Learning about Monogamy

Should I talk to my doctor about monogamy?
Talking with your doctor about the benefits of monogamy in preventing the spread of sexually transmi...
Does monogamy help to treat pre-existing STDs?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
Monogamy does not help treat existing STDs in any way! Even if you and your partner enter into a rel...
What alternatives to monogamy can prevent sexually transmitted diseases?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
Abstinence or monogamy and safe sex with a uninfected partner are the only way to totally prevent g...
If I practice monogamy, should I get tested for STDs and HIV?
Even if you've been practicing monogamy, regular testing for sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) an...