How can monogamy help to prevent transmission of STDs?

Because sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) pass between partners during genital or oral intercourse, the number of sexual partners can affect your chances of contracting them. If you are active with only one partner, you risk contracting a STD only from that partner. If the partner is mutually monogamous and is negative for any STDs at the time of your sexual relationship, your risk is far lower to contract an STD.

Continue Learning about Monogamy

How effective is serial monogamy against the spread of STDs?
Traditionally defined monogamy involves selecting a single mate for the duration of your lifetime. S...
Should I leave my partner if he is not ready for monogamy?
Paul  Hokemeyer, PhDPaul Hokemeyer, PhD
It depends on how long you have been together, what your intentions are for the relationship and if ...
Does monogamy help to treat pre-existing STDs?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
Monogamy does not help treat existing STDs in any way! Even if you and your partner enter into a rel...
What is monogamy?
Monogamy was initially defined as the practice of being married to only one person during your lifet...