Are there complications in using monogamy to prevent STDs and HIV?

Using monogamy alone as a strategy to reduce the risk of exposure to STDs and HIV can be difficult in the long-term. Unless you and your partner are monogamous for your lifetime, your partner's sexual history before the relationship becomes a factor in your risk of exposure. Also, only around 21 percent of clinicians believe that monogamy is a strategy that will be adopted long-term for the reduction of exposure. Even if you maintain a series of monogamous relationships, the more successive monogamous partners you have, the greater your risk of exposure.

Continue Learning about Monogamy

What alternatives to monogamy can prevent sexually transmitted diseases?
In addition to monogamy, doctors also recommend abstinence. If you are sexually active, the use of c...
How does monogamy differ from abstinence in preventing STDs?
Abstinence, or the complete lack of sexual activity, is the most effective protection against sexual...
What is sexual monogamy?
Sexual monogamy is when a couple remains faithful to one another. They do not engage with outside se...
Should I discuss my sexual history before practicing monogamy?
Accurately assessing your partner's sexual history can help determine whether or not you may be put ...