Can monogamy affect pregnancy?

Paula Greer
Midwifery Nursing
Monogamy is critical before and during pregnancy. Increasing your risk of sexually transmitted infections by increasing exposure to multiple partners can put your baby at risk. Having a sexually transmitted infection during pregnancy can increase your risk of a preterm delivery and depending on the STD may even transmit the infection to your newborn.

Medically speaking, monogamy will not affect your likelihood of getting pregnant. However, because monogamy can be an effective preventative technique against STDs or HIV, it can reduce the risk of passing infection to an unborn child. An unborn child is susceptible to the infection in the womb and during birth, so using precaution in choosing a partner or adhering to monogamy can protect your child as well as protect you.

Continue Learning about Monogamy

Should I talk to my doctor about monogamy?
Talking with your doctor about the benefits of monogamy in preventing the spread of sexually transmi...
What is genetic monogamy?
Genetic monogamy is when genes, not social and behavioral norms, dictate the practice of monogamy. D...
Is monogamy in humans a matter of biology?
Humans are not genetically predisposed to monogamy. One reason humans may practice monogamy is becau...
Should I discuss my sexual history before practicing monogamy?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Honesty is generally the best policy.  Maintaining a deception for the rest of your life will take a...