Are there alternatives to monogamy as a social practice?

There are several alternatives to monogamy as a social practice. Approximately four out of five anthropological societies allow polygamous marriage, which is identified as a marriage with more than one spouse (usually practiced with a single husband and multiple wives). Another option is sexual abstinence, where sexual contact is avoided altogether. Polyamory is the term given to a person in many romantic involvements at a time. Also, promiscuity, or the practice of casual sex outside of any defined relationship, is another alternative social practice.

Continue Learning about Monogamy

Should I talk to my doctor about monogamy?
Talking with your doctor about the benefits of monogamy in preventing the spread of sexually transmi...
What is monogamy?
Monogamy was initially defined as the practice of being married to only one person during your lifet...
Can monogamy affect pregnancy?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
Monogamy is critical before and during pregnancy. Increasing your risk of sexually transmitted infec...
How does time between partners affect risk in serial monogamy?
The frequency of serial monogamy can affect the rate of contact between infected and people at risk....