Why do I have trouble with intimacy?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
Past difficulties in relationships and the resulting fear, anger, or depression can cause disconnections in our current relationships with ourselves and others. We tend to withdraw, and a numbness develops in our bodies and souls to the point where intimacy may seem impossible.

Sleep deprivation or insomnia can also inhibit intimacy. When we are exhausted, it is almost impossible to muster the energy to be intimate. Stress (a modern epidemic) creates a state of almost constant worry and defensiveness within us. We worry about what happened yesterday and what will happen tomorrow. When we rob ourselves of the present moment, there is no possibility for intimacy, for intimacy only happens when you can be fully aware and deepen the "now" you are experiencing with your loved one.

Cell phones, e-mails, and beepers often serve to isolate and alienate us even more while giving only an illusion of intimacy, as we are not physically in the presence of another person. Our current culture dictates that we move faster, move forward, reach outward for some sort of fantasy of fulfillment in the material world. But true intimacy is a slowing down, a moving inward, a spiral journey toward your authentic self.
Alter Your Life: Overbooked? Overworked? Overwhelmed?

Themes like “I just don’t have time” and “I’m exhausted” rule our lives today. We are overbooked, overworked and overwhelmed. Just getting done what must be done fills our days. The...

Continue Learning about Intimacy

How can I improve my communication to enhance love and intimacy?
Dr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhDDr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhD
Listening is a great way to build respectful relationships. In listen first communication you are tr...
What is the sign of true intimacy?
Arianna HuffingtonArianna Huffington
The willingness to show anger, love, even fear is the gift of a profound intimacy. This kind of inti...
How does technology prevent intimacy?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
Cell phones, e-mails, and beepers often serve to isolate and alienate us even more while giving ...
Why is it good to build intimacy in relations?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Develop intimacy. Intimacy is very important to good health. It probably relates to the nurturing th...