What is the sign of true intimacy?

Arianna Huffington
Health Education

The willingness to show anger, love, even fear is the gift of a profound intimacy. This kind of intimacy -- knowing and letting oneself be known -- requires overcoming many ancient fears, but it’s worth every risk. And it's a never-ending process.

In the end, it’s all about finding your best self, not losing yourself in another. About finding someone you like yourself with, not someone to save you from yourself. I love how this notion takes the idea of finding “the one” out of the fairy-tale land of Prince Charming sweeping us off our feet and puts the onus squarely on us. How contrary to the traditional notions of romantic love involving the idea that we’ll be “swept away,”  “knocked off our feet,” or “fall head over heels”  -- not exactly healthy states of being! I much prefer the kind of love that comes down to “I like me best when I’m with you -- fearless and at peace.” 

On Becoming Fearless...in Love, Work, and Life

Observing that her own teenage daughters were beginning to experience some of the same fears that had once burdened her--how attractive am I? do people like me? do I dare speak up?--Arianna...

Continue Learning about Intimacy

How does technology prevent intimacy?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
Cell phones, e-mails, and beepers often serve to isolate and alienate us even more while giving ...
What is intimacy?
Mr. Eliot LeBow, CDE, LCSWMr. Eliot LeBow, CDE, LCSW
Some people equate sex with intimacy, but that is not true. Being intimate is the result of a variet...
Is it possible to foster true intimacy before birth?
Yes, before birth is the most intimate you can be with another person. Some people equate sex with i...
How can I improve my communication to enhance love and intimacy?
Dr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhDDr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhD
Listening is a great way to build respectful relationships. In listen first communication you are tr...