How can I improve my communication to enhance love and intimacy?

Listening is a great way to build respectful relationships. In listen first communication you are trying to convey a spirit honoring individual perspectives, a genuine interest in people and a desire to form partnerships.

Listen first or motivational interviewing utilizes the following skills: 

•Ask open questions.  Invites people to talk and share their perspective.  
•Reflect what we hear from people.  Communicates understanding.  
•Summarize what we hear.  Pull together the major points of a conversation.  
•Use Affirmations.  We want to affirm what we see as positive with people.  Communicates encouragement and support.  

These simple listen first skills support people feeling supported, understood and respected which can lead to enhanced love and intimacy. People feel loved when they are heard and can love more fully when they are allowed to talk and know that someone is listening; that someone cares. 

Continue Learning about Intimacy

Is it possible to foster true intimacy before birth?
Mr. Eliot LeBow, CDE, LCSWMr. Eliot LeBow, CDE, LCSW
Yes, before birth is the most intimate you can be with another person. Some people equate sex with i...
What is the sign of true intimacy?
Arianna HuffingtonArianna Huffington
The willingness to show anger, love, even fear is the gift of a profound intimacy. This kind of inti...
Why do I have trouble with intimacy?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
Past difficulties in relationships and the resulting fear, anger, or depression can cause discon...
How can I make my bedroom romantic?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
Invest in aromatic candles and burn them often. Spray linens and clothing with refreshing scent...