How can I make my bedroom romantic?

Charles J. Sophy, MD
Adolescent Medicine
  • Invest in aromatic candles and burn them often.
  • Spray linens and clothing with refreshing scents.
  • Play romantic music.
  • Wear an attitude to match the romance.
  • Take out all clutters and tv from your bedroom.
  • Have soothing colors with dimmer light fixtures in your bedroom.
While romance can happen anywhere, the bedroom seems to be the place that most choose to capture some sexual magic.  Here are three simple solutions you can implement right now to transform your sleep space into a love nest.
  1. Clear The Clutter - If there is trash, dirty clothes, papers, and junk laying all over your bedroom, it won't scream, "SEXY!"  An organized space is pleasing and relaxing to the eyes and will de-stress you when it's time for lovemaking.
  2. Change Your Linens - While you don't have to spend a bundle on expensive bed linens, I do recommend getting rid of those old, pilly sheets with rips and holes.  Not only are they visually unappealing, they don't erotically titillate your skin.  Find a suitable thread-count (the higher the better) with a satiny finish and roll around in a bed that doesn't feel like a haystack.  You'll feel sexy and romantic whether your partner is there or not.
  3. Be Prepared - You know that feeling when you're in your kitchen, ready to prepare a killer dish and you realize you don't have a necessary ingredient?  It's so disappointing and can really throw off your mojo. In much the same way, your bedroom will feel more romantic when you have all of the necessary elements at arms reach.  Whether in a drawer in your nightstand or in your naughty toy box, be sure to have your favorite lubes, toys, massage oils, candles, and toy cleaners handy.  If you're unprepared, your mind will be focused on what could have been rather than having a great time.  Prepare ahead and create an amazingly romantic experience.
According to a poll by the National Sleep Foundation, when asked to name the most important factors for romance in the bedroom, respondents chose:
  • A comfortable mattress
  • Comfortable sheets and bedding
  • A clean room
  • A cool temperature in the bedroom
  • Comfortable pillows
  • A quiet environment

Continue Learning about Intimacy