Why is it important to listen for clues of child abuse?

Children may not tell anyone if they are being abused, so it is critical that any signs of abuse be taken seriously. If you suspect possible child abuse, call your local child protective services agency, police department, or the National Child Abuse Hotline at 800-4-A-CHILD.
It is important to listen for clues of child abuse because it is important to act in a way to support the child and keep the child protected. It is therefore important to recognize the possible clues so that further questions are asked. Most children who disclose want the abuse to stop. When the disclosure is “missed,” they may continue with additional hints, or not.

Continue Learning about Child Abuse

How the Impact of Child Abuse Extends Into Adulthood
Adults who have experienced early childhood abuse or neglect often find that the mental and physical consequences of this trauma persist well into adu...
Hidden Signs of Child Abuse
Hidden Signs of Child Abuse
Every year, there are around 700,000 confirmed cases of child abuse in the United States. Three-quarters of these children that experienced abuse also...
How does child abuse affect chronic disease?
ChildhelpChildhelp
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) links adverse childhood experiences (which...
How do I know if my child is being abused in a relationship?
Leigh Vinocur, MDLeigh Vinocur, MD
Signs you might notice if your child is being abused in a relationship include depression, mood ...