What should I do if I suspect a child is being abused?

If you suspect that your child or another child is being abused, report it to the proper authorities. When reporting child abuse to the appropriate authorities, it is important to have the following information
  • what happened
  • when it happened
  • where it happened
  • who did it
  • their relationship to the child
You will be asked for some identifying information such as your name, address, where you work and how the child disclosed. All of your identifying information will be kept confidential.

Continue Learning about Child Abuse

Hidden Signs of Child Abuse
Hidden Signs of Child Abuse
Every year, there are around 700,000 confirmed cases of child abuse in the United States. Three-quarters of these children that experienced abuse also...
How the Impact of Child Abuse Extends Into Adulthood
Adults who have experienced early childhood abuse or neglect often find that the mental and physical consequences of this trauma persist well into adu...
How does mental abuse affect children?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Physically, mental abuse in young children impacts their brain development. The nerves themselves fa...
How do I know if my child is being abused in a relationship?
Leigh Vinocur, MDLeigh Vinocur, MD
Signs you might notice if your child is being abused in a relationship include depression, mood ...