How can I protect my child from abuse?

Prevention of child abuse is both a personal and societal issue, and parents need to protect their children. According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), protection needs to begin at home. This includes:
  • Nurturing and attachment: Talk to your children.
  • Knowledge of parenting and child development: Parenting is not just natural, it is a learned skill. Understanding your child’s development and how to respond to different situations will help you.
  • Parental resilience: Know and teach how to face the inevitable challenges and stress of life in a healthy manner.
  • Social connections: Playgroups, spiritual support and neighborhood activities create social connections.
  • Concrete support: Keep a list of resources such as family and friends you can call. Dialing 2-1-1 will connect you with other agencies that can offer support.
  • Social and emotional competence of children: Helping your children feel secure and loved helps in prevention. This can include daily routines around mealtime, naps and bedtime; helping your children solve problems in age-appropriate ways and talking with children about how important their feelings are.

Continue Learning about Child Abuse

Child Abuse

In most cases of child abuse, the abuser is someone the child knows; parent, relative, or family friend. Abuse can be emotional, neglect, sexual, or physical abuse. All types of abuse can cause permanent mental or emotional damage ...

to the child as they age. Many will turn to alcohol or drug use, and some may become withdrawn and depressed.