Why is it difficult to achieve a work-life balance?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
When we think of work, the image that comes to mind for most in the Western world is one of intense productivity. As a result, the American workplace is often the most spiritually barren space many of us experience. The requirement to make business decisions based on bottom-line thinking often eliminates making decisions based on achieving work-life balance. Maintaining a balance in our work and life in the American workplace is an extraordinary challenge.

These days the paths of profit and work-life balance rarely cross. Fifty-five percent of American workers say their workday leaves them overtired and overwhelmed and forty percent rate their jobs as stressful or extremely stressful. The recent economic shift, with its downsizing and layoffs, has only exacerbated the problem: workers left behind find themselves saddled with twice as much work for the same amount of pay.
Alter Your Life: Overbooked? Overworked? Overwhelmed?

Themes like “I just don’t have time” and “I’m exhausted” rule our lives today. We are overbooked, overworked and overwhelmed. Just getting done what must be done fills our days. The...

Continue Learning about Wellness

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: Proven Ways Your Commute Can Make You Healthier
Active transportation—a mode of transportation powered by people, like biking and walking—promotes a multitude of benefits, according to the Gallup-Sh...
How do I know if my life is out of balance?
Jan CampbellJan Campbell
To determine if your life is out of balance, you can look at your life activities through what I...
5 Things GPs Wish Their Patients Would Do
5 Things GPs Wish Their Patients Would Do5 Things GPs Wish Their Patients Would Do5 Things GPs Wish Their Patients Would Do5 Things GPs Wish Their Patients Would Do
These simple, expert-approved health tips could save your life.
What Are Some Benefits of Detoxification?