Why is it difficult to achieve a work-life balance?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
When we think of work, the image that comes to mind for most in the Western world is one of intense productivity. As a result, the American workplace is often the most spiritually barren space many of us experience. The requirement to make business decisions based on bottom-line thinking often eliminates making decisions based on achieving work-life balance. Maintaining a balance in our work and life in the American workplace is an extraordinary challenge.

These days the paths of profit and work-life balance rarely cross. Fifty-five percent of American workers say their workday leaves them overtired and overwhelmed and forty percent rate their jobs as stressful or extremely stressful. The recent economic shift, with its downsizing and layoffs, has only exacerbated the problem: workers left behind find themselves saddled with twice as much work for the same amount of pay.
Alter Your Life: Overbooked? Overworked? Overwhelmed?

Themes like “I just don’t have time” and “I’m exhausted” rule our lives today. We are overbooked, overworked and overwhelmed. Just getting done what must be done fills our days. The...

Continue Learning about Wellness

On the Rise: Temperatures and Organ Transplants
Q: I know air pollution and rising temperatures put us at a higher risk for asthma and heart disease, but is it true that there’s also a heightened ri...
How can I better read my body’s signals?
Pam GroutPam Grout
This may come as a surprise to you, but your body constantly strives to be fit. It's totally self-cl...
8 Surprising Health Mistakes You're Probably Making
8 Surprising Health Mistakes You're Probably Making8 Surprising Health Mistakes You're Probably Making8 Surprising Health Mistakes You're Probably Making8 Surprising Health Mistakes You're Probably Making
These seemingly harmless habits are actually sabotaging your health goals.
How Can Too Much Clutter Be Harmful to My Health?